Member to Member
Advocacy is the active support of a cause, idea, or policy.
Massachusetts PTA invites you to actively join us in our role of advocates for Massachusetts' children and youth. We hope you will become a member of our Member-to-Member Network -- a group of parents, teachers, students, and community members who have agreed to contact their legislators in person, by phone, email, fax, or postal service to share PTA's positions.
PTA's Member-to-Member Network is a grassroots advocacy system that provides direct contact by PTA members with members of Congress, and occasionally with federal regulatory agencies. When such contact is needed, National PTA's Washington D.C. office or Massachusetts PTA's office issues Action Alerts describing the pending legislative issue and the action needed -- which is most often a letter or phone call to your federal or state representative(s) office.
Massachusetts PTA and National PTA closely follow legislative issues pertaining to our youth, but we need your help in getting the message to legislators who represent YOU! We will send periodic alerts and ask that you contact your representatives -- sometimes both state and federal -- and let them know your thoughts about the issues. We will provide you with key points, help identifying your representatives, sample letters, and any further assistance you may need.
Network participants also have access to a PTA staff liaison who can answer your questions and assist in your efforts.
Member-to-Member Network members are expected to:
- Respond to Action Alerts in a timely manner.
- Express the position of Massachusetts and/or National PTAs, as set forth in the Action Alerts, which are based on PTA's resolutions and positions statements.
- Establish contact and build relationships with legislative aides.
- Build relationships when possible with your member(s) of Congress.
- Provide feedback regarding their legislative contacts.
- Understand the legislative issues upon which action is requested.
- Attend advocacy training workshops where available.
To join Massachusetts PTA and National PTA's grassroots advocacy network, visit National PTA to sign up.